Sheffield Eagles Official Website

Betfred Championship EVOGO

Davies brace helps Eagles past Fax


Sheffield Eagles booked their place in the fifth round of the Coral Challenge Cup with a 20-18 victory over Halifax at the Mobile Rocket Stadium.

Oliver Davies’ second score of the afternoon, four minutes from time, snatched victory away from Fax, who had been in front on two occasions during the second period.

Mark Aston made three changes from the side that were beaten by Toulouse Olympique last Sunday at Castle Park.

Greg and Paddy Burns came into the fold for Robbie Ward and Blake Broadbent while Connor Bower returned to his centre position, with Aaron Brown going to loose and Rory Dixon dropping out.

Sheffield started the game on the front foot and had two tries to show for it inside 22 minutes.

Davies broke the deadlock early on as he added the finishing touch to an Anthony Thackeray grubber.

Guzdek couldn’t convert but was successful following Farrell’s score, which also came from a Thackeray kick.

Halifax hit back before the break with two consecutive tries. Back-rowers Matt Garside and Paul Brearley did the damage, Steve Tyrer kicked a conversion to level the scores - 10-10 at the break.

The visitors went into the lead for the first time in the match on 54 minutes courtesy of winger Jodie Broughton. Tyrer’s conversion from the corner landed short of the sticks.

Despite the horrid conditions, Sheffield threw the ball around with urgency in the opposition half and they got their reward when nice interplay saw Guzdek weave through unopposed.

The full-back converted to put the Eagles back in front.

Ten minutes were left to play when Fax struck once again. Scott Murrell dabbed a ball into the in-goal and Jacob Fairbank had the simplest of finishes to put the visitors two points up.

Tyrer hit the post from bang in front.

With the game still in the balance late on, Davies powered over from short range to ensure Sheffield would be in the hat for the next round.

By Dan Fowler, photo by Alex Coleman