Sheffield Eagles


Halifax RLFC 18-20 Sheffield Eagles

Sunday 11th August 2019, 15:00pm

Championship - Round: 24


Shaun Robinson, Scott Grix, Steve Tyrer,


Steve Tyrer (3),


Olly Davies, Pat Walker, Aaron Brown,


Pat Walker (4),

Line Ups

Halifax RLFC

fb: Scott Grix
w: Shaun Robinson
c: Steve Tyrer
c: James Saltonstall
w: Conor McGrath
so: Scott Murrell
sh: James Woodburn-Hall
p: Keegan Hirst
h: Brandon Moore
p: Jacob Fairbank
sr: Liam Cooper
sr: Ed Barber
lf: Kevin Larroyer
int: Ben Johnston
int: Dan Fleming
int: Connor Davies
int: Ben Kavanagh

Sheffield Eagles

fb: Josh Guzdek
w: Ryan Millar
c: Menzie Yere
c: Jacob Ogden
w: Ben Blackmore
so: Pat Walker
sh: Anthony Thackeray
p: Shaun Pick
h: Greg Burns
p: Bradley Tagg
sr: Olly Davies
sr: Joel Farrell
lf: Aaron Brown
int: Corey Makelim
int: Rory Dixon
int: Patrick Burns
int: Blake Broadbent

Match Report

Sheffield Eagles survived a late fightback from Halifax to claim a 20-18 victory at The Shay on Sunday afternoon.

The Eagles were 18-6 up at the break thanks to tries from Oliver Davies, Paddy Burns and Aaron Brown as well as three goals courtesy of Patch Walker.

Shaun Robinson scored Fax’s only first half four-pointer, with Steve Tyrer goaling.

Walker’s penalty goal after the restart proved to be Sheffield’s only points of the second period as Fax fought back with Scott Grix and Tyrer tries, the latter converting twice.

However, the Eagles held on for a good victory away from home which will lead them perfectly on to next weekend’s home tie against Barrow Raiders.

Eagles boss Mark Aston named the same 17 who featured against Widnes Vikings at the Olympic Legacy Park last Friday.

Halifax struck first on 11 minutes as Grix and Tyrer linked up before Robinson had space in the corner to score. Tyrer converted.

Sheffield responded soon after as Greg Burns took the ball into the heart of the Fax defence, creating a gap for Davies to exploit. Walker added the goal.

The Burns brothers combined as the visitors took the lead. Hooker Greg found back-rower Paddy who dotted down next to the sticks. Walker again on target.

With the clock ticking down to half-time, Sheffield notched their third score of the afternoon through Brown.

The ex-Ram crashed over from close range as the Fax defence were powerless to stop the forward. Walker converted.

On 54 minutes, Walker had the kicking tee out once again and extended Sheffield’s lead to three scores with his fourth goal of the afternoon.

Halifax do have the quality to turn the screw when they need to and they started to do just that in the final quarter.

Tries from Grix and Tyrer set up a nervy finish but Sheffield held on for victory, their second on the bounce in the Championship.

By Dan Fowler


G Hewer



Half Time

6 - 18

Search on Twitter