Sheffield Eagles


Sheffield Eagles 28-10 Barrow Raiders

Sunday 22nd July 2018, 15:00pm

Championship - Round: 22


Matt James, Ben Blackmore, Cory Aston 2, Menzie Yere,


Cory Aston 4,


Brett Carter, Jonny Pownall,


Jamie Dallimore,

Line Ups

Sheffield Eagles

fb: Matthew Costello
w: Iliess Macani
c: Menzie Yere
c: Joshua Toole
w: Ben Blackmore
so: Cory Aston
sh: Corey Makelim
p: Mark Offerdahl
h: Matty Fozard
p: Shaun Pick
sr: James Bentley
sr: Matt James
lf: Patrick Burns
int: Greg Burns
int: Max Garcia
int: Michael Weldon
int: Jon Magrin

Barrow Raiders

fb: Ryan Fieldhouse
w: Georgy Gambaro
c: Ryan Burroughs
c: Thomas Loxam
w: Brett Carter
so: Jamie Dallimore
sh: Ryan Johnston
p: Joe Bullock
h: Nathan Mossop
p: Arnaud Bartes
sr: Matt Holmes
sr: Dan Toal
lf: Alec Susino
int: Dean Parata
int: Ryan Duffy
int: Glenn Riley
int: Jonny Pownall

Match Report

Sheffield Eagles won their second consecutive match at the Olympic Legacy Park as they beat Barrow Raiders 28-10.

On an emotional afternoon following the passing of George Betts, grandfather of Cory Aston and father-in-law of Eagles chief Mark Aston, last Sunday – the Eagles went toe-to-toe with Barrow’s big forward pack and were triumphant.

Aston Jnr was in fine form as he bagged a brace, an assist and the Man of the Match award to cap off a superb afternoon.

Aston Snr made two changes from the Eagles’ dramatic 30-28 victory over Dewsbury Rams as Jack Ashworth and Jake Spedding made way for Max Garcia and Greg Burns.

It took ten minutes for the first points of the game and they came courtesy of captain Matt James, who barged his way over the line with a powerful effort. Aston knocked over the extras.

The hosts extended their advantage soon after, sending the majority of the 702 in attendance into celebration.

Great work from Matty Costello and Josh Toole gave Ben Blackmore a chance in the corner and the winger took full advantage by beating his opposite number and squeezing over. Aston couldn’t convert.

Following the second try of the afternoon, the game started to become scrappy with both sides fumbling the ball as well as being penalised by the referee.

Sheffield tried forcing their way over from dummy-half on three successive occasions but the Raiders held out.

Barrow came close to their first try when Ryan Duffy steamed towards the line, only for Jon Magrin to stop the ex-Leigh man with inches to spare.

However, three minutes from the interval, the Cumbrians did go over as Brett Carter touched down a grubber. Jamie Dallimore couldn’t convert.

At the break, Sheffield led 10-4 despite having chances to be further clear.

The Eagles got off to a perfect start within the first minute of the restart as Aston stripped possession one-on-one and went in by the sticks. He converted his own score.

With the final quarter looming, Joe Bullock won two penalties in a row as the Raiders moved towards Sheffield’s whitewash.

Nathan Mossop crossed in the corner as Barrow cut the deficit to 16-10 following Dallimore’s touchline goal.

On 62 minutes, Aston’s class was vital once again as he probed the Barrow defence before shooting through a gap and touching down. He added the extras.

Aston had a chance to further the hosts’ lead with a penalty goal from 25 metres out but his effort was wayward.

Barrow kept fighting to get back into the game but their cause wasn’t helped when they had a try disallowed for obstruction with ten minutes remaining.

Seconds were left on the clock when Menzie Yere launched himself on to an Aston pass, powering over from close range. The latter converted. 

By Dan Fowler


N Bennett



Half Time

10 - 4

Search on Twitter