Sheffield Eagles - official site


Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles

Sunday 25th March 2018, 15:00pm

Championship - Round: 7

Stats over last 8 encounters









Sheffield Eagles suffered a 36-22 defeat against Barrow Raiders at Craven Park on Sunday.

The Eagles raced into an 18-0 lead before relinquishing their advantage in the second half as Barrow dominated proceedings.

Ben Blackmore, Matty Fozard and Garry Lo all touched down in the first half prior to the Eagles’ collapse after the restart.

Shane Toal grabbed a hat-trick for the Raiders during a second period which saw the hosts score six tries to the Eagles’ one.

It was a much-changed Sheffield side as Mark Aston brought in James Bentley, Jack Ashworth and Jake Spedding from St Helens as well as Cory Aston and Garry Lo from Castleford Tigers.

And it was Spedding who created the first try of the game as he made a break through the Raiders defence before passing to an onrushing Blackmore. The winger finished the move and Aston converted from the touchline.

Sheffield kept the pressure on following the opening score of the afternoon. Joshua Toole broke downfield before Ryan Millar carried the move on. He was tackled and Brett Carter was sin-binned for a professional foul.

The numerical advantage told in the next set when Fozard picked up a loose ball and added the finishing touch. Aston added the extras.

It looked like Sheffield had a newfound spark about them and they capitalised further when Bentley offloaded to Lo, who overpowered his opposite number from short range.

Simon Brown converted as Aston soon went off injured.

Barrow responded just after the half-hour mark when Andy Litherland crossed. Carter was off target.

Unfortunately for Sheffield, it was one-way traffic after the interval.

It took three minutes for Barrow to get the ball rolling thanks to Dan Toal. Carter converted.

The Raiders were smelling blood and despite one of their players being stretchered off in the same set, they cut the gap to one score when Ryan Duffy exploited a gap. Carter goaled.

With the final quarter looming, Shane Toal scored the first of three scores which would wrap the game up. Carter didn’t convert from the corner but Barrow had the lead and never looked like giving it away.

The in-form winger doubled his tally for the afternoon when he latched on to a Lo knock-on before going 50 metres to the try line. Carter converted, as he did following Joe Bullock’s four-pointer on 65 minutes.

Toal completed his hat-trick with eight minutes remaining, enough time for Sheffield to strike on the hooter through Lo.

By Dan Fowler